The World’s First Eco Car Spectacular
With Buckingham Palace bathed in Autumn sunshine on Sunday 12 September 2010, celebrities and eco cars assembled on London’s most famous driveway, The Mall, to demonstrate that the future of motoring will be fast and green.
Celebrities from a wide range of backgrounds were tempted out for the chance to get behind the wheel of the most astonishing array of Eco vehicles ever brought together. Spectators were thrilled to see Sir Stirling Moss in the same motor paddock as Dame Ellen MacArthur (more used to wind power) and Sanjeev Bhaskar of Kumars fame, Dragons Den’s Duncan Bannatyne with Strictly Ballroom’s Camilla Dalerup jockeying for position with BBC’s Gaby Roslin. Celebrity presenters Lucy Siegle, Quentin Willson, Robert Llewellyn and Lisa Rogers conducted running commentaries as each car paraded down the Mall to an excited crowd. Thousands of people lined The Mall to see the extraordinary acceleration of the electric Tesla Roadster (0 to 60 mph in 3.7 secs), the sheer power of the Westfield iRACER and the stunning looks of the Citroen Survolt.
The event was not just a four-wheel affair with a wide range of electric motorbikes, scooters and a Segway, as well as the best of Greenpower’s schools developed electric mini racers that will do up to 30 mph. The city cars were represented by Mini E, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, smart ED, Renault Fluence ZE, Vauxhall HydroGen4, Tazzari ZERO, THINK City and many more.
- THE VISION TROPHY for the manufacturer who has created the most visionary Eco Car on display at the Spectacular was presented by Sir Stuart Rose, Marks & Spencer to Citroen.
- THE ENDEAVOUR TROPHY for the company or individual who has made the biggest step in showing Eco Car technology to the world was presented by Roger Saul, Curator of the Start Eco Car Spectacular to TAG Heuer
- RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW TROPHY for the Car manufacturer which has shown the way to the rest of the industry in having serious production cars on the market right now presented by Charles Middleton, MD of Triodos Bank, the ethical Bank, to Tesla Motors
- FUTURE CITY TROPHY for the city runabout eco car or two-wheeled transport with the best design, efficiency and carbon footprint presented by Sir Stirling Moss to Mitsubishi Motors
- THE INNOVATION TROPHY for the student, university, company or manufacturer who produced the most innovative design in eco transport to Vectrix.
For more videos visit us on YouTube
Start Eco Cars, formed part of HRH The Prince of Wales’ latest consumer‐facing sustainability initiative ‘Start’, which aims to present positive steps to leading a sustainable lifestyle. Opened to the public, the Start Eco Car Spectacular featured an array of environmental motoring solutions within a spectacular showcase event along one of the most famous streets in the world.